Playlist--Special Revival Edition
every recording I could find of "Bring Them Home" and "Long Black Veil." I'm just about veiled out, Marijohn shoulda worn orange. Results I've been listening to will be up on my site (http://bruce.orel.ws/seegersessions/audio.html) tonight or tomorrow.
- Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (30th Anniversary Edition) [Columbia]
- Irma Thomas - After the Rain [Rounder]
- Various Artists - American Primitive, Vol. 2 (Prewar Revenants 1897-1939) [Revenant Records] - Music from some of the neighborhoods Harry Smith missed. John Fahey's last project.
- Lost Country - Down On The Borderline [Cool Groove] My friend Jim Colegrove sent this one to me after I wrote to him about "American Primitive." "Borderline" may have the only other recorded version of "I've Got Your Ice Cold Nugrape." Honest music, well played.
- Bargain bin special - "The Very Best of Soul" 10 CDs, 200 tracks, under $20. Some of the better known stuff is represented by re-recordings, but there are enough original and usually overlooked gems on each disk to still make this a lot of fun.
- DMC - Checks Thugs and Rock N Roll [Romen Empire Records]
- La Bottine Souriante - Cordial [Les Productions Mille-Pattes]
- Irma Thomas - After the Rain [Rounder]
- Butch Cage and Willie B. Thomas - Old Time Black Southern String Band Music [Arhoolie]
- Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome/The Seeger Sessions [Columbia]
- Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers [Astralwerks]
- Various Artists - The Pilgrim: A Celebration Of Kris Kristofferson [American Roots Publishing]
- Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere [Atlantic]
- Various Artists - Voices From the Frontline [Crosscheck]
- Marit Larsen - Under the Surface [EMI Norway]
- Dixie Chicks - Taking The Long Way [Sony]
- Outkast - "The Mighty Oh" [Download]
- DMX - "Lord Give Me A Sign" [Download]
- The Fugees - "Foxy" [Download]
- Nelly Furtado (ft. Timbaland) - "Promiscuous Girl" [Download]
- The Pipettes - "Pull Shapes" [Download]
- Soul Asylum - "Stand Up And Be Strong" [Download]
- Chuck Berry - Rock 'n' Roll Rarities [1986 UMG] The Bible.
- Chuck Berry - St. Louis to Liverpool [2003, MCA] The Other Bible.
- Chuck Berry - The Chess Box [1988, Chess/UMG] The Bigger Other Bible.
- Neil Young - Living With War [2006 Reprise] Good songs, first takes, ya know-hard rockin' Neil. In its way an answer to The Rising.
- Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome [2006 Columbia] Not what I expected by a long shot. Complete artistic rejuvenation from the most important artist of our time. Rolls more than it rocks, like The Band on nitrogen. Songs of my youth, this time in color.
- D'Angelo - Live at the Jazz Café [2000, Japanese import, Def Jam] When will there be something new from D'Angelo? This is him and his band pre-Voodoo with the drummer from The Roots. Killer.
- Roy Hargrove - Nothing Serious [2006, Verve] His tone is as fine as his composing.
- The Stylistics - The Best of the Stylistics [1990, Amherst] The only slow dances I recall were to their songs. Betcha By Golly Wow...
- Liam Ó Maonlaí - Rian [2006, Rian Records]. Traditional Irish music from the voice of Hothouse Flowers. Songs he learned from his mother. Gets at something deep inside you.
- Drive-By Truckers - A Blessing And A Curse [2006, New West] A little less Skynyrd influence this time, a little more Faces. Neither the lyrics nor the music jumps out in the same way it did on their best release, Decoration Day. It'll require closer listening before I have a clue what they're up to this time. But it's good enough to make the investment.
- Terry Allen - Smokin' the Dummy/Bloodlines [1997, Sugarhill two-fer reissue]
- Terry Allen - Salivation [1999, Sugarhill] Salivation is Allen unshackled. His take on Christianity is always interesting. Sacrilegious if you're a fundamentalist. Sacrilicious if you're not.
- Mike Felton - Working demos [unreleased] Felton gears up for his follow-up to 2003's "Landfill." Edgier than his last batch of songs, his targets more focused. Depending on what songs make the final cut, themes might be "perdition in the promised land" or "gospel music for the unredeemed (or unredeemable)."
- Ian McLagan - Spiritual Boy: An Appreciation of Ronnie Lane [Maniac]
- Bruce Springsteen - The Seeger Sessions [Columbia]
- Muddy Waters - Hoochie Coochie Man: Complete Chess Masters, Volume 2 1952-1958 [Hip-O Select]
- Various Artists - Nuggets II [Rhino]
- Various Artists - American Primitive, Vol. 2 [Revenant]
- Faces - Ooh La La [Warner Brothers]
- Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance - Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance [Acadia]
- Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam [j]
- Wynonie Harris - Rockin' the Blues [Proper]
- Reigning Sound - Live at Goner Records [Goner]